Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'd rather be reading.

It is rainy and grey, though only a little chilly in the mitten, today. Spring is punching it's way through! The only thing about a drizzly day, though, is that *all* I want to do is curl up in fluffy blankets and read (she writes in the whiniest tone, while stamping her foot).

I'm currently engrossed in a couple of great reads:


Annie Dillard's book, The Writing Life, is as poetic and evocative as you'd expect any of Annie Dillard's books to be. It is packed with inferred wisdom, stream-of-consciousness brilliance and insights into her own thought process as a writer. I'm zooming through it--but I constantly have this urge to read slowly, ever so slowly, to savor it. I really want it to sink in. 



Ms. Hempel Chronicles, by Sarah Shun-lien Bynum, has completely sucked me in! I got it from our local library to push myself into fiction again...I need to balance the memoirs and histories somehow...and it had me at "hello." From my initial glancing at the jacket and the first page, standing in the stacks, I was smiling. It's about an English teacher, so of course I felt I could relate. But, it is a funny and insightful and pretty precise look into the heart and mind of--not just an English teacher, but a woman who's trying to figure out her life, even though she's already a grown-up. Still in the first chapter, but can't wait to see  where it goes from here!

Enjoy the spring showers!

1 comment:

Jess said...

I just online-requested both of these! Woot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...