Tuesday, May 10, 2011

book talk

hello, friends!

Today I'd like to talk books, poetry and all things literacy. What do you say? I'm thinking of making Tuesday "Book Talk Tuesday." It has a nice ring, yes? The only thing is, I might be too flighty to make it *every* Tuesday...but I'm gonna try. We can get together on a Tuesday and talk books--what we're reading, interested in reading, recommending others to read.

Y'know, book talk.

So, here goes:
photo sourced here
How much would you love to go to a poetry reading at the White House? Billy Collins will be one of the poets to read. Here is one of my favorite Billy Collins poems--

Also, here is an article by Christopher Hitchens, beautifully written and sharply bittersweet, reflecting on potentially losing his speaking voice and how that relates to his writing voice. Hitchens quotes a few lines from one of my favorite poems, "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock," by T.S. Eliot. While Hitchens and I do not share the same views about faith practice, he had me at Eliot. Well, he had me at himself, actually. Though we do not agree on theology, I have to appreciate his intellect--sharp, sharp, sharp!  I find his version of the Ten Commandments to be so thought provoking...



...as well as his debates with Douglas Wilson over the question, "Is Christianity Good for the World?" Collision, the film that documents their debate tour, is equally fascinating, no matter what "side" you come down on, or how you answer the question.


So then, Saturday, on my way to hang out with a friend at a bookstore, I heard Demetri Martin on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. 

He was talking about his new book so cleverly (I've enjoyed his humor since his Flight of the Conchords days!) that when I got to the bookstore, I thumbed through it--and chuckled to myself for several minutes. I also saw that he will be performing a reading at this Barnes and Noble this Sunday. Do I want to go? 

Oh yeah. 

But, it's probably lucky that I stumbled upon this hilarious blog post first. I didn't know who Emily St. John Mandel was before reading her tips on what *not* to ask at a reading...but she seems like the kind of chick who'd be awesome to be friends with. Doesn't she?

I'm gonna have to check out her latest

Add it to the summer reading list! Speaking of, what are you planning on/hoping to read this summer?

2 comments:

Jess said...

After devouring both "Ms.Hempel Chronicles" and "The Writing Life" from your earlier recommendations, I will now trust you blindly and read anything you suggest. Hah! So I'll be checking out some of these.

nic said...

Oh, I know, weren't they both A-mazing??? If you read "The Singer's Gun" before me, promise to let me know how it is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...