Wednesday, April 13, 2011

We Datenight Econo

Last night, the hubs and I both got home relatively early. What did we do? Mini-date night! We'd been saving our latest Netflix acquisition, We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen, for just such an occasion.

Jake is constantly educating me in the ways of rock n' roll and punk/hardcore music. It's great for this Joni Mitchell-lovin' girl! I've gained incredible appreciation for many bands and artists I never would've known about, if not for my hubs. The Minutemen were just such a band. 

What I liked about the band, and what was communicated through this documentary, was the "realness." The emphasis for these three dudes was on music, on doin' their own thing, on being creative. I dug it. 



These guys were really smart and sweet-seeming. Totally outside the box. Whatever "the box" is! They were punk, but they weren't. They were an important band, but they named themselves "minutemen" to reference feeling "minute" (i.e. small) in the scene. They just were themselves. So cool.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...