Monday, April 4, 2011

"professional" packing

So, I have a confession: 
I am a packing-nerd. 
Not "packing" as in "...heat," but as in, "I'm going on a trip and I'm...for it."

Anywho. I'm weirdly efficient at it, a talent I discovered on a backpacking tour around Europe with my best friend after undergrad. Tonight, I'm starting to make my packing list for the professional/academic conference I'll be heading to, day after tomorrow. Here's the thing about academic conferences, though: they are very wibbly-wobbly when it comes to dress-code. I mean, these are scholars, we're talking about, people! Not exactly power suits or fashion plates. I'm always searching for just-the-right balance in my attire: not too casual, not too corporate. A bit creative, but not too hippie-cat-lady. I tried doing a bit of research to inspire my wardrobe choices, but unfortunately there is no catch-all gold mine of "chic-professional" lookbooks or idea blogs. Sigh. 

Well, here's my dream conference wardrobe; what I'd put in my suitcase if I could:

First, I'd grab this soft, durable porter to throw my laptop and notebook in. 



I'd pretty much need this whole, terrific outfit

I'd need tidy hair to compliment the proper professional look. How great is this "professional hair" sketch?


Or this braided bun?

These grey wedges are just to die for!


...and what working wardrobe would be complete without a couple of classic pieces from jcrew? 

As I was compiling this list, I noticed that I have a pretty tom-boyish style. Or at least, that's what I was in the mood for today! Lots of blues and minimal accessories. To show I mean "business"...ha! (sorry, couldn't resist.) :)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...