Tuesday, October 18, 2011

book talk: inspiring women enacting change

whoosh! (that's the sound of time flying by...)
Hey all! Sorry I've been so lax with my posts these days. Time is whipping by me and I feel like I'm scrambling to keep on top of everything. Now, does that mean that I've not taken time to sit on the couch, pizza in hand, to watch a movie or two? Certainly not.

This weekend, Jake and I saw an incredible movie: Pray the Devil Back to Hell.



It is an incredibly powerful documentary about the peaceful protests Christian and Muslim women in Liberia led, which eventually brought an end to their country's civil war. Amazing. 





It felt so relevant to me, because I had just heard on NPR that Leymah Gbowee, one of women integral in starting and sustaining the movement, had jointly received the Nobel Peace Prize this year, along with two other women. Also, activist Leymah Gbowee just published her first book:


I so want to read it! I found the documentary and these women's story so moving, I've been meditating on it for a few days, now. I was profoundly touched by the wisdom, the level-headed persistence, and the great forgiveness these women demonstrated in the face of unspeakable atrocities. They inspire me.

What about you? Do you have any inspiring stories/books? What are they?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...