Monday, October 31, 2011

Meatless Monday: feeling autumnal

Hey friends. Happy Monday! (ugh.)

I can just tell that this week is going to be a doosy. This past weekend was really, really nice--complete with friends, family and rest. And then, the week sort of hit me in the face.

So,  I'm craving comfort food, big time. Yesterday, I made my mom's apple cake, which I managed to slightly burn, but it still tastes good. Actually, over at smitten kitchen there is an apple cake recipe almost identical to my mom's--just leave out the walnuts, and layer the apples with the batter, so they're inside the cake rather than on top.


The funniest part is that Deb mentions that it is "her mom's apple cake," also. I see. Well, mom's of the world, unite with your delicious apple-cake recipes!!!

Tonight, I think I'm going to make a now-classic in our house: spaghetti with kale and parmesan. But, I did not invent this dish. Oh no, I was inspired by Molly Wizenberg's story about how she learned to love kale...


...now, at the time (our first year of marriage), I had never tried this mysterious ingredient, kale, before. This article made it seem so accessible. I've been obsessed with it ever since.

If I can make it by the store on my way home, though, I might pick up some black beans to try this meatless chili recipe that caught my eye instead:


It just looks super-easy and comforting. A win-win.

What about you? What are some of your chilly-weather, feeling *schmeh* comfort food recipes?

1 comment:

Jess said...

mmm, that chili looks good! as does the kale and pasta dish. AND, my mom also has an apple cake recipe that is my go-to cake recipe. it is so delicious and easy, and makes a huge bundt cake. my chilly-weather comfort foods? I'm trying to dig the recipes back up, since it's starting to cool down here. I love kale and potato soup, with or without beans, tomatoes, etc. I also love Mark Bittman's Creamy Cauliflower Mac.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...