Tuesday, November 1, 2011

book talk: good ol' mystery novels

So, I'm about halfway through this book:


I picked it up from the library, as it is the first book in the Stephanie Plum series, and I'd been reading reviews for Finger Lickin' Fifteen all summer. The cover for that one is pretty cool, too. Cooler than book one, for sure.


But, before I can leap into a series, I usually want to read the beginning first. So far, I'm intrigued by the spunky protagonist, Plum, and am willing to read a few more volumes to see how she develops. She is at the start of her journey in this first book, and so she has a lot to learn about the business she's gotten herself into (bounty hunting). I'm hoping she gains some confidence, some smarts, some ass-kicking ability. I guess, all things considered, it's good that I'm rooting for her. (it is reallyreallyreally hard for me to stick with a book where I despise, or even halfway-despise the protag.)
Usually, I turn my nose up at mystery novels. Aren't they formulaic? Aren't they for grandmas? Despite the fact that I've read a couple of scenes now where I've (literally) yelled at Stephanie Plum to be more alert--there's a guy in your bathroom, fool!!!, I've also been sucked into to the story and now have to see how it ends. Is this what reading the mystery genre is like? Is this why it is such a popular and lucrative genre? It's the equivalent of literary crack?

Because of my addictive tendencies, I'm now more determined to read a book that's been recommended to me for over a year:


 Anybody read it? Thoughts? Is it worth reading the series? What about mysteries in general--for or against?

2 comments:

Jess said...

First of all - my mom loves those Evanovich books. And I make fun of her for them, b/c I'm a snob when it comes to mysteries. I know they are fun to read, and that's why she reads them, and that's great. But I prefer character driven and depressing fiction, most the time. Though to be transparent, I have read a few mysteries, and been totally sucked up into them.

nic said...

I know, right? I recently passed up the plum novels this last time at the library, opting instead for some young adult fiction and a historical-genre-based novel. I guess I'm a snob, too! But, there *is* something to be said for the urgency that plot-driven writing inspires, huh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...