Tuesday, November 15, 2011

book talk: books with numbers in their titles...

These days, I've been caught up in some really great books. Just finished a fun-start-to-the-series YA novel by N.D. Wilson:


It's about a boy who goes to stay with his aunt and uncle and cousins in Kansas, only to discover that there are mysterious cupboards beneath the plaster walls of his room there. Adventure, and a little bit of magic, ensue. The end was a tad unsatisfying, but I suspect that is because it is the first book of a series and meant to leave the reader feeling unsated, wanting more. I'm game. 


On the grown-up end of things, I'm one "glass" into this fun and absorbing book by Tom Standage. Somewhere in the "praise for" section, it says something like, "manages to give you a comprehensive history of the western world and entertain you at the same time..." and I think it's true. I'm now the proud knower of quite a lot of Fertile Crescent history, along with ideas about not only the invention of beer, but also the invention of writing. I can't wait to finish this book, I just know I'll feel so much smarter!

What about you? Any books (perhaps with numbers in their titles?) that make you feel smarter or more magic just by reading them? Do tell. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...