Wednesday, November 23, 2011

gird your loins

It doesn't feel like the holidays, yet. The Mitten is sunny, the grass still fairly green. No snow, really. And, I know I'm not alone in my slow-building "holiday spirit."

But, ready or not, here they come. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving (!) and about three days after that, it will be Christmas.

I do love Thanksgiving--a time to eat food, reconnect with family, watch football, and reflect. I am always gratified by the communal attention we give to just plain being grateful, for big and little things. Our church has an annual Thanksgiving service that is basically an open mic--whoever comes can step forward and talk about what they're grateful for. It is my sister's and my favorite service. It can be, by turns, heartwarming, hilarious, serious, thoughtful...and it is secretly the Thanksgiving tradition that the two of us keep with each other. We both show up, ready to share our gratitudes and enjoy the bits and bobs our small congregation shares. Our own private, sister-tradition.

Here's another sweet Thanksgiving tradition (via You Are My Fave) that seems like it would be fun to start.


Wouldn't it be great to pass these little cards around to your family each year, and then collect them somewhere--in a small book, say? What an amazing record!


But before we get to the dinner, there are the appetizers. For the first time ever, my Mom is hosting the appetizer-portion of Thanksgiving dinner (we'll then walk next door to Grandma's for the main event). I'm going to make 3-cheese gougeres that hopefully look as cute and puffy and splendid as Martha Stewart's...


...and taking inspiration from Madame Fromage (as I often do), I will make her super-easy Maple Balsamic Pecans with Sea Salt (though I'll add some walnuts, too). You're welcome, Dad.

After all the feasting is concluded, I will not be shopping. I mean, I will eventually, but I am a hard-core anti-black-Friday-ite. Also, this year I want to be extra-thoughtful about gifts (i.e. carefully budgeted), which is why I so appreciated this budget sheet and this one-day shopping strategy.

What about you? Do you have any favorite (or groan-inducing) holiday traditions? Do tell.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...