Tuesday, November 22, 2011

book talk: the exact book I wanted to read

I had heard of it, in passing. Never really gave it much thought. But, it turns out, that when I tapped this book on the shoulder at the library one autumn afternoon, I found the exact book I wanted to read at that very moment.


Now, I'm not usually one for a story told through correspondence (my main issue with Possession). I tend to be too impatient to let the plot develop in such limited snapshots. But this book, with its multiple narrators and just plain likeable characters, had me at the first salutation. It also contains some fascinating historical perspectives of WWII. If you haven't read it yet (and I know I'm behind the times on this one...) try it out. It would fit in wonderfully with a blustery afternoon and a hot cup of tea. 

3 comments:

Miss Bibliophile said...

Yay! I loved this book too and get excited whenever anyone else feels the same way. It's so rare to find a feel-good book that's also smart and well written. I think it's the exact book I'd want to read at any moment.

nic said...

Nice! I agree with that assessment--I found it rich and thought-provoking, along with creating a warmth that kept me *wanting* to return to read more...I wonder if that nice complexity is a result of the collaborative writing? Do you know of any other books by these authors?

Miss Bibliophile said...

The authors are an aunt and a niece, right? I think I remember reading that the aunt has since passed away and the niece has only written children's book. Hopefully she'll do something else for adults someday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...