Tuesday, November 29, 2011

book talk: flowery intrigue

So, I'm about halfway through this book:


And I have to say that so far, I'm undecided in my opinion. The moment Jake saw the cover in the stack I'd brought home from the library, he sort of snorted and said, "oh, a book for girls."

That is pretty much what it is, in a nutshell. 

I'd be pre-disposed to turn my nose up at it, if I hadn't been sucked in by the premise that the Pink Carnation is actually a famous English spy in the 18th century, along the lines of one of my favorite English spies of all time...The Scarlet Pimpernel.


It is, to this day, one of my very favorite books. Maybe because it is written from Marguerite's perspective, or maybe I just have a thing for swashbucklers...either way, it's the association that grabbed me. And now, the plot (though sprinkled with some groan-worthy "romantic" scenes that are trying just a bit too hard to sound Pride-and-Prejudice-esque) has sucked me in and I'll have to see what happens. Likely, it'll be a bit of a let down, but so far, I've decided I'm gonna roll with it. 

What about you? Have you ever picked up, or stuck with a book simply because it referenced or reminded you of another book you really liked? Or is it just me??

2 comments:

Miss Bibliophile said...

I felt the same exact way about this book! I got into it for the historical mystery, but kept groaning inwardly at a lot of the cheesy scenes. I actually even ended up reading the sequel to it, but had mixed feelings all the way through that one, too.

nic said...

Hmmm, I totally understand. I'm almost done, but have been rolling my eyes so much, I'm not sure I can handle a sequal. I feel like I need to read something russian now, or maybe a nonfiction book about the history of whiskey. I don't know...just to get the cloying-ness of this book neutralized.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...