Tuesday, August 9, 2011

book talk: recommendations

Today in class, my students pleasantly surprised me by asking me for book recommendations. As our semester draws to a close, they are working on their final portfolios, and yet, tell me they look forward to continuing their growth as readers, as well as writers. To be honest, I was a bit flabbergasted, and couldn't for the life of me think of one decidedly solid recommendation for them. I stalled by saying that I needed to think about it.

Well, I've been thinking.

Mostly, I've been thinking of books that have been recommended to me. For instance, last Friday, my dad recommended The Help:


I've known for awhile that I should pick it up--largely because the movie trailers intrigue me, and I can't justify seeing a book-adaption without first reading the book (otherwise when I read it the movie just plays over again in my head!). But, when my dad, who is very particular about the books he reads, and even more so about those he praises, told me, "It might be the best book I've ever read." The only sane reaction would be to stop by a bookstore as soon as possible.


I took up my husband's recommendation that I read the George R. R. Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire, and have been steadily feeding the addiction. My husband can be relied upon for excellent book suggestions, and this one was no different. I am practically flying through book two right now. 


Also highly recommended (though not a book): Fringe. I first heard of it from my best friend, who is also the person in my life responsible for my Dr. Who addiction (thanks, Jen). I added it to our queue, and after that had it lauded first by my mensa-smart aunt Mary and then by our artist friends Jon and Meg. Only halfway through the first season, I can't say I'm totally addicted...yet. I believe my counsellors, though, and trust that very soon I will be. 

What about you? What books (or shows or movies or records) are you glad that someone recommended to you? Do you have any good recommendations for me? Or for my students? What are some good books to recommend to a group of college freshmen?

3 comments:

Miss Bibliophile said...

One of the best recommendations I've gotten was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. My mom recommended it to me a couple of years ago and it became one of my favorites. Another favorite from recent years is The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris. I'd highly recommend either of those.

nic said...

Ooh! Interesting...I've never heard from anyone who's actually read the Potato Peel Pie book. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tips, Miss B!

Lal said...

A fabulous roommate of mine once got me hooked on ALIAS. I'll always be grateful. ;-)

Actually, that might have been the beginning of my love affair with great TV shows. Firefly, Castle, Dollhouse, Leverage, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles (season 2 is a little disappointing however), LOST (also with the disappointment), Eureka.

T

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...