Monday, August 15, 2011

Meatless Monday: end of summer

I don't like thinking about it. I wish I could avoid it altogether.

But, the end of summer will be here before I know it (and when I say "end" I mean, "August 31st," or sometimes students say "the first day of class"...instructors merely grunt like Rooster Cogburn and say, "reckon so."); I'd rather be prepared than blindsided.

This week, I will definitely be making this easy-sounding, vibrant-looking summer pasta dish (though I might toss in some marinated bocconcini):


And with the end of summer, comes our anniversary. On Wednesday, Jake and I will have officially hit the three-year mark! We've had a lot of fun and grown together in so many ways these past three years. One thing that I've enjoyed is the fact that we make our own little traditions...being poor, sleep-deprived  educators, we've taken to declaring an annual, anniversary bed-in (yep, a la John and Yoko). Except, instead of protesting the war, we protest not being able to just lay in bed every day. It is something I've come to really look forward to. 


I never make it a full 24 hrs, though. I usually get my fill of laying around, reading, listening to music. Also, I get hungry. So, after awhile, I'll get up and make dinner. That is how the artichoke tradition started.


Last year, I bought some artichokes, and decided it would be wonderfully romantic to steam them and eat them, leaf-by-leaf. Then, I had a tiny meltdown when I got these prickly suckers home and realized I did not know what to do with them. I had to do some research to figure out what the heck I was doing...but depsite my neuroses and lack of cooking technique, it turned out lovely. There are so many interesting sauces to make, but my favorite is by far just a simple, balsamic mayonnaise, like this one


Then again, I may just toss the whole plan and make these a-mazing-looking artichoke fritters. Seriously? As if artichokes couldn't get any better!

What about you? Do you have any fun, made-up traditions? Any go-to special occasion recipes? Do tell!

1 comment:

Katie Anderson said...

I love the sound of your anniversary tradition!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...