Tuesday, September 6, 2011

book talk: date night inspiration

For one of our recent date nights, Jake and I watched a fascinating documentary about reclusive "outsider artist," Henry Darger.



His work is so delicate and vividly imaginative, I almost couldn't tear my eyes away from the film for one instant.



At one point, the narrator mentions that Darger had a habit of collecting images from the newspaper, flyers, even the trash, and pasting them into phonebooks. He turned phonebook after phonebook into fantastic collage volumes. This got me thinking about my own love of collage and sketching/doodling--something I do, "when I have time..." So, like, never these days.

One of my favorite journals to use when I find the time, and just need a shot of mindless creativity, is Wreck This Journal, by Kerri Smith.


I also love Lynda Barry's work--it's so cool! One of these days, I'm going to figure out how to use What It Is as a required text in my writing classes. 


What about you? Do you have any favorite guided journals, or just fun, creative books that inspire you? Do tell!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...