Friday, September 30, 2011

DIA Day!

Friends, I'm having a great day. Today was DIA day for my writing classes!



My students are working on collecting readings in various genres that can inform their research proposals. We learned about how to evaluate websites, then we surfed the web. We learned about searching databases with keywords, broadening and narrowing our searches, and then we practiced in the library. Then, we learned about analyzing and evaluating visual texts, and our practice took place in the "library of visual art", the DIA.


A couple of my students were really interested in the Diego Rivera murals in Rivera Court. I was so geeked to talk to them about this massive, strange and beautiful work. Even cooler was when a museum staff member came up to us and offered us an ipad with all sorts of info in the pre-loaded apps about the painting process, the symbols...tons of stuff!


An any time I'm at the DIA, I make sure to visit the Rothko--Orange and Brown.  I try to stare at it from different angles and let my mind drain. I try to just pause and feel, as I imagine Rothko intended me to do. Today I thought to myself: wow, these colors are so warm (it is frigid and windy in the D today!), it's probably the perfect one of his paintings for Michigan...The coolest thing was that I got to introduce this piece to a student who'd never seen it, who wasn't even familiar with Rothko. We talked about the painting and you know what she said? "It's great that it's warm colors. It warms me up on a cold day."

No kidding. 

I could probably go on and on. The day was just packed with moments that made my teacher-heart sing--students asking docents for advice, asking me questions about pieces, taking notes, telling me they're planning to stay all day, exploring, smiling, absorbed in art! Man, what a great day.

How is your day going?

2 comments:

Jess said...

teacher-heart sing moments - how sweet! speaking of, have you seen my dear friend Jessie's blog? look for "Made Many Paintings" on my "favorites" list on my blog. She's doing her first year of teaching art this year, in an elementary school.

on another note, I finally just wrote you back. now I have to buy stamps. oh, universe, align!

I love that you had such a great time with your students, absorbed in art. What a wonderful place to be.

nic said...

Fantastic! I will have to check out her blog...can't wait for my letter:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...