Monday, September 26, 2011

meatless monday: the first of fall

For meatless monday today, I am excited to share with you my dinner plans for tonight: spaghetti squash with tomato sauce!


To my husband's chagrin, I have fallen head-over-heels for this fun-to-prepare squash as a pasta substitute. Check out more yummy-looking recipes here and here

With the onset of fall, I've been thinking of all the wonderful culinary delights that are, in my Mitten-born head, quintessentially autumnal. Apple cider, for instance. Cider donuts. And all things pumpkin...


Now, I love a good pumpkin-spiced latte as much as the next girl...but it's not exactly in my budget these days to pick up a professionally made one just whenever I feel like it. So, this morning, in my pre-caffinated semi-genius, I figured out this homemade substitute:


+


+


=


[so, that's 1 cup dark roast coffee (I use this French Roast), plus 1-2 tbs. Natural Bliss Creamer in Caramel, plus Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste, equals Faux-Pumpkin-Pie-Spice-Latte]


What about you? Do you have any clever, DIY recipes that taste just like "store bought"? Do tell!

2 comments:

Jess said...

that sounds delish. please tell me you use whipped cream on top! : ) I don't do anything to sub store-bought. I still just love black coffee. though I have been dousing my toast with honey and cinnamon in the mornings. and in a couple weeks, when it really cools off, I'll be treating myself to a professionally-made pumpkin spice latte. whipped cream and all.

nic said...

black coffee, eh? Girl, you are hard-core! I've never been that tough...except when drinking Dr. Lindquist's coffee he brought back from Panama (ask Scott, he know's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!)

That toast idea sounds pretty heavenly! Probably nice for soothing a scratchy throat, which I seem to be developing...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...