Thursday, January 26, 2012

old lady tricks~bedtime routine

Good evening. I'd like to share with you another old lady trick that garners plenty of teasing in our small household: my bedtime routine.

I suppose this trick could either be considered "old lady" or "small child." I choose old lady, if only because I am usually much more crotchety than any of the small children I know. Especially in the morning. I will confess to you, friends, that mornings and I do not like each other. Maybe that's why I feel so intent on getting things ready the night before...


My bedtime routine is mainly conducted in the bathroom. I brush my teeth, wash my face (or swipe with one of these puppies), apply nighttime lotion (this organic stuff is currently my fave), floss, brush my hair, etc. All pretty standard. 


I also have to set out all my "stuff" for the following day--outfit, workout clothes, jewelry choices, and so forth. Have my lunch packed and in the fridge, ready to go. The mail stacked by the door--which almost didn't happen tonight! As I typed this, I realized I'd thrown away the Netflix movies with the rest of the junk mail and had to go dig 'em out of the garbage can. Sheesh. 



Once everything is set out and ready for the morning, it is time for the hands and feet. Especially in the winter, I try to keep my hands, which are chalk-covered for most of the day, moisturized. I really like using this stuff on my feet, too. As a teacher, I'm on my feet all day, most days. I try to be kind to my feet by shopping for not-too-torturous shoes and giving them a minty rubdown before bed--my way of expressing gratitude to them for holding me up and carrying me wherever I needed to go. 

Last but not least, I sip a cup of hot water with lemon and slick on some moisturizing lip balm. 

At this point, Jake is usually chuckling at me, trying to cajole me into bed, already. And let's face it, sometimes the routine does have to get chucked out the window. But as a general rule, it soothes my old lady soul. It helps me relax. It helps me feel ready for that ominous event called, "morning."

What about you? Any interesting routines--bedtime or otherwise--you like to follow? Do tell. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...