Wednesday, July 20, 2011

kitchen chairs

Last weekend, I came home from a beach-trip with my mom, aunt and sister to the voice of my husband. What was he saying? Why, he was saying, "honey, I broke one of our kitchen chairs."

Part of the delight of the hubs is that he begins conversations in this way. Not "hi, how ya doin'?" Not even, "brace yourself, I have news..." Just, out with it.

Because our dining set is a semi-antique-y thing passed down to us from my parents, we will likely need to buy, either some new chairs or a whole new set. Here are some that have caught my eye lately:




Have you ever purchased new chairs for your kitchen? We are such grad students (though I've been long done...) that we haven't made a substantial purchase for our home like this since...well, since our wedding. Wow. I'm not sure how much sticker shock to expect, how much to go for (just the chairs or a whole new she-bang?) What is your experience?

5 comments:

Lal said...

Aaah! That metal chair is *so* cool!

I would lean toward just replacing the chairs. But I haven't seen your dining set. :)

I've seen a lot of really cool combinations with an older-looking wood table and ultra-modern chairs (metal, or white most probably). But I'm not sure I'd be able to pull them off, or that I could get the design match up just right (I love design, but don't have a lot of confidence!).

I love several of the chairs from West Elm.

http://www.westelm.com/shop/furniture/dining-chairs-seating/?page=viewall

http://www.westelm.com/shop/furniture/office-desks/?page=viewall

I *love* their overlapping squares chair... but, ack! looks like they don't make it anymore. I guess when you have your eye on something for 5 years, that can happen. Oops! ( http://www.westelm.com/products/overlapping-squares-side-chair-f046/ )

Good luck picking awesome chairs/table! :)

T

Lal said...

Oh, Brocade Home has some cool things, too. But they have much more feminine lines, so maybe not dining room style.

https://www.brocadehome.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1006_1030&sort=20a&page=-1&zenid=7c4ohbgip9ocqp425742v5v917

Jess said...

I love the chair at the top, but not having seen your table, don't know which would go best. I say, just get all four chairs at the same time and don't look at the receipt. ; ) We bought our table from Ikea a few years ago and found 4 amazingly cool vintage retro whatever vinyl chairs on craigslist - paid $150 for them, which felt like too much, but I later realized that chairs are actually expensive, so it probably wasn't too bad.
Ikea might be a good option, too.

nic said...

Oooh, T, thanks for the cool links and great ideas:) I agree with you about the mixing-and-matching thing...I think that's where I'm heading. Maybe even clear chairs???

Jess, I love the idea of mixing vintage and Ikea (it's the smartest-budget-option...) and I didn't even think to check out craigslist. I'm gonna check it out!

Thanks for the encouragement, girls! xo.

Lal said...

Ooo yes clear! I am *so* in love with the Louis Ghost chair. I got to sit in one at a Design Within Reach shop a couple years ago - I was in heaven! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Louis-Ghost-Chair-Transparent-Acrylic/dp/B003KWF9YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311558561&sr=8-1

T

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...