Monday, July 11, 2011

Meatless Monday: slightly tomato-obsessed


Last week I made this phenomenally easy eggplant parmesan. The original recipe is for one, so I just doubled it and we were set. With a green salad, that was one bright, satisfying dinner! I have some leftover eggplant...so maybe an encore this week?


But really, I am not here to talk about eggplant. I only have eyes for tomatoes, these days. 

Yesterday, I met my friend, Becky, for lunch at a local joint that boasts a Bloody Mary Bar. Yep, like a salad bar, except with vodka. I mixed a lovely, spicy, savory drink and was in heaven! It made me want to try this version, suggested by Martha Stewart.

And for lunch today, just to further the tomato-obsession, I packed a tomato, goat-cheese and basil salad. I can hardly wait to eat it! I sliced up a handful of Campari tomatoes, plucked some basil from the plant on the sill, and crumbled up some goat cheese. Drizzle of olive oil, some salt and peppper, and done. But, there are other tomato-salad combos in the sea...I'd love, for instance, to try this one:


Or, maybe this one:


Oh, tomato! How do I love thee? What is your relationship to the tomato? Do you love it? Hate it? Like it only in sauces? Why or why not?

2 comments:

Jess said...

I love tomatoes of all shapes, colors, sizes. My favorite in the summer - tomato sammie: thick slices of artisan bread with mayo, slices of tomato, and salt. It is tasty, but also pays homage to summers of my childhood, when we'd go visit the family beach house and spend all day in the sun, coming home to make something quick because we were starving!

nic said...

oh man. I am so hungry now! time for lunch, I think;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...