Monday, July 18, 2011

meatless monday: strawberries!


Ever since last summer, I've had the gnawing urge to get a strawberry pot. It all started when I was minding my own business, milling about the farmer's market. I was drawn to a farmer who was selling herbs and strawberries in pots. I chatted with him about how much work these plants would be to keep alive, about my "black thumb" and eventually, I walked away in a fit of nervous laughter and excuses.


Obviously, I'm haunted by this exchange. Or, as I often cast it in my memory, a missed opportunity. At this point (having managed to keep the plant alive, of course), I could be up to my elbows in strawberries. Like Tina from blissful eats, I could be making cakes full of the tiny, jewel-like fruits. 


I could be feeding my secret scone-obsession with these pillow-like treats Deb made.

But most of all, I could be re-creating one of my favorite salads of all time. It is not on any website (that I know of). It is a recipe that my friend, Jenni, and I learned while staying at a host-home outside of London.  It was invented by a super-cool, super-creative bartender-girl who had invented it, and who shared it with us:
  • Mix of greens (dark, like spinach, with crunchy, like romaine)
  • red onion
  • ripe strawberries
  • fresh feta cheese
  • cooked couscous (or I like quinoa)
  • plain yogurt (I like the Greek kind)
  • Optional additions: greenhouse cucumber--chopped, bell pepper--chopped, drizzle of olive oil
Best. Salad. Ever. Try it, and let me know what you think! 

3 comments:

Lal said...

I never knew those pots with holes all over were for strawberries!

Also, I have *got* to give that scone recipe a try. Wow!

T

Jess said...

those scones made me think "OMG!" they look good. I have never committed to strawberries, either, but might try out some of those pots in the future. strawberry salad sounds so good!

nic said...

Oh, scones. How do I love thee??? I agree with you both, that even the idea of those scones is pretty much reason enough for me to buy a strawberry pot and grow some fruit! Plus, I just read in a magazine the other day that strawberries are one of the top fruits that hold pesticides, so growing my own would circumvent that problem...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...