Tuesday, June 14, 2011

book talk: educated by jane austen

image source
My friend, Jenni, is going on vacation next weekend. We were discussing what books she'd take to read on the trains she'll be riding around Spain. She said, "I will definitely bring my pocket Pride and Prejudice, because it's always good to read." I emphatically nodded my approval. 

So, as a Jane Austen fan, and as a teacher, I was doubly excited to read this book review in the New York Times. It led me to this book


Apparently, William Deresiewicz has taken the novels of Ms. Austen and learned all sorts of cool life lessons from them, and written it all down in A Jane Austen Education. I love it. 

Even more intriguing is his connection between Austen's literary style and teaching practice. In his article for The Chronicle, Deresiewicz describes how reading Northanger Abbey, and specifically interactions between Catherine Morland and Henry Tilney, revealed "lessons to explore for a lifetime, but the first place I applied them was the classroom.":

"Instead of training Catherine to follow the conventions of life in her society, Henry was trying to wake her up to them by showing her how absurd they were. But he didn't do it by being didactic; he did it by provoking her, taking her by surprise, making her laugh, throwing her off balance, forcing her to figure out what was going on and what it meant—getting her to think, not telling her how."

I see in Deresiewicz's quote the glimmer of what I consider the true teacher's heart. This is a book that I need to read, for my love of Austen, certainly. But also for my love of teaching. 

What about you? What author has taught you your most significant life-lessons? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...