Monday, June 20, 2011

Carnival of Dads

For Father's Day, we had a fun-filled weekend celebrating with both of our dads. That is one of the coolest things about living near family--you get to be around for all the days, the every-day-days and the fun, special ones, too.

Saturday, we took my father-in-law to a great brew pub in Ann Arbor, the Jolly Pumpkin.

image source
We got a sampler of some really interesting beers, including a gluten free IPA and a brew made with spinach! The spinach beer was, indeed, very green. But cold, it turned out to be thick, and slightly sweet.

image source
I tried the Hibmajishtee--a wheat beer with hibiscus. It tasted so crisp and clean, like tea and beer combined. All-in-all, it was a leisurely, lovely meal. Afterwards, we took a walk around Ann Arbor. My brother-in-law, who graduated from U of M, took us to the law quad...


...it was really pretty and oldy-worldly. I felt like I was back in Oxford. We got to peek inside the Law Library as well. So cool!



Sunday we hung out with my dad. We sat on the deck, noshing on olives and a new wine my mom got to try. The weather was PER-fect. Everything was just easy, relaxing. We barbecued steaks and the hubs and the brother-in-law played chess. 

My dad and I have a special relationship. He's my mentor, my hero, and a goofy antagonist (stop tying my socks in knots, already!!). We can talk about almost anything, and we share a lot of interests. 
Dancing on my wedding day.
Goofing off together.
Chatting at Jake's autumn exhibition.
A big classical music buff, my dad got me into Fantasia when I was little. So, for Father's Day, I got him special Fantasia blu-ray pack from us. Evening's entertainment? Covered. 



I loved the piece with the whales, set to "the Pines of Rome" by Respighi. Sooo magical. (though the hubs was a bit disappointed that they weren't "space whales" after all.)


We all agreed that the "Rhapsody in Blue" animation was friggin' cool. Plus, the narrative was complex and sweet.  



But, I think my favorite was the Carnival of the Animals--a quirky, short, and funny bit that supposedly answers the question, "What happens when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingoes?" Fabulousness, that's what.

What a fun weekend! How did it go for you?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...