Wednesday, June 8, 2011

food and wine pairing

Summer has finally hit us in the Mitten. Like a bullet in the back. And, I should confess to you that I've been pretty cranky about it. (apparently I don't handle the heat super well...) So, Jake and I went for a walk last night, to get out of our oven of an apartment and to keep me from fussing. We got frozen custard. I felt better.

It is about this point in the year that I stop drinking red wine. Not that I don't love it, but it's just so hot out! I need something refrigerated. These days I go for a nice, crisp white wine, enjoyed on our little back deck.


Reading Mme. Fromage's account of pairing--what else?--cheese with a particular white vino got me thinking about food and wine pairings. This week, I've been crazy for a sweet (not syrupy) moscato with a tiny dish of salty olives. The briny/fruity combination crackles in my mouth like grown-up pop rocks. 

What about you? What is your summer evening snack? Or, do you prefer a summer evening activity, like a long walk around your neighborhood or sitting on your porch? What activities sing of summer to you?

2 comments:

Jess said...

I love summer evenings, minus the bugs, of course. I become an unapologetic ice cream fiend in the summer, eating a bowl every night just about. After the kids get to bed and the sun is setting, Scott and I like to sit on the porch together. Sometimes he plays banjo, sometimes we take cold beers, sometimes we just sit and talk. I love the time together, and I like enjoying the summer after the heat of the day has passed.

nic said...

Ohh, yeah, I hear that about the bugs. I have exactly one mosquito bite on every appendage. What the--? I am totally in support of your ice-cream quota. What else can combat Southern heat?

Love your evening porch routine! Sounds just great. And I think you're right: it's the *time* together. It can take different forms--sometimes jake and I walk, sometimes we just sit, sometimes we listen to a record or whatever! But time together is always sweet. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...