Tuesday, June 7, 2011

book talk: living in balance

For this Book Talk Tuesday, let's talk about living in balance.

So, I'm on Day 3 of my 10-Day Reboot. Made an awesome salad for dinner last night, and learned a thing or too about basic cooking moves in the process (but more on that later).

Every morning for the past three days, I've been practicing these flow workouts, and so far, so good.


But, I'll give you a hint about which flow is hardest for me: it's the one with the least amount of hands/feet on the floor. As much as I love yoga (and I do! It's a totally non-competative workout with a nap at the end--what's not to love?), I suck at balance poses. I've been having an awful time of it during my magical days of detox, and so I thought what any college instructor in writing and research would think, "I wonder if there is a book I can read to help with this?"

And while I didn't find a book about yoga poses per se, I did find and interesting list of books and articles to help with living a balanced life in general.

ProfHacker suggests creating a Whole-Life Grid to maintain a balanced professional academic life:

And then, there's this funny article about balancing swear words with professional words.


This is the book I'm reading with the hubs. The title sounds super self-helpy, I know. But so far, we've found it to be a pretty practical book about spiritual balance. 


There's always this aptly named novel which was recently added to Oprah's famous list, and which looks pretty darn luscious, if you ask me. 


If all else fails, I will turn to Kung Fu Panda: The Art of Balance. Apparently, in this illustrated print episode of the tale, Po is trying to balance his job at his dad's noodle shop and his new life as a Dragon Warrior. I totally relate. I'm sure that I have much to learn from this animated, endangered dude. (p.s. I haven't seen either of the movies yet, but sort of want to--to indulge my inner 12-yr-old, of course--anyone seen 'em? What did you think?)





2 comments:

Rachel said...

That first jumping exercise would be the hardest for me. I can't stand pylometrics!

nic said...

Is that jump-thing plyometrics? Sheesh. It is definitely harder than it looks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...