Wednesday, June 8, 2011

a new (old) skill


So, on Monday, when I went to create that weirdly delicious summer salad I told you about, I ran into a snag. I don't know how I've gotten by so long without knowing how to hard boil eggs, but somehow, I have. 

I had to call my Grandma, who will turn 87 years-old on Saturday. She is my go-to contact with all basic cooking questions, like how to make a white sauce, or how long to roast a particular kind of meat, and at what temperature. And here is what she told me:

  1. cover the eggs with water
  2. bring the water to a boil
  3. turn the heat down to medium and simmer eggs for 10 min.
  4. immediately dump the eggs into a bowl of cold water and let them cool
  5. ta-da! hard-boiled eggs. 
I feel smarter, and even a little more grown-up for knowing this. If you knew it already, good for you. If you didn't, now you know;)

3 comments:

Lal said...

My mom used to boil them what I one day realized was far too long - the yolks got that icky burnt taste and that's why I never liked hard boiled eggs. Betty Crocker I think says to bring it to a boil then remove it from the heat for 15 mins or so. I've been using that recently and they turn out pretty well. Next time I'll try it your grandma's way. :)

Here's what I really want to know - how on *earth* do you peel them without dinging the whites while you get the shell off in a thousand little bits. This frustration is largely the reason I don't boil eggs much!

Loving your blog. :)

T

Jess said...

It's okay that you didn't know this. Every time I do it I have to look up instructions online.

nic said...

Ha! Thanks for the encouragement, jess. ;-P

T! I'm so glad your enjoying the blog. Thanks for your sweet words and encouragement. That is so funny about your mom and how you never liked boiled eggs:)
The quick answer to your question is that I don't. I have totally variant sizes of dings in my eggs. (if you figure out how to avoid that, let me know!)

<3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...