Monday, June 6, 2011

Meatless Monday

Hey all~

Hope you are having a fabulous start to your week! Today, it is 82 degrees in our part of the Mitten, and I'm feeling like not turning on the oven this week, maybe sticking my head in the freezer every hour or so. We keep open windows and good-old-fashioned ceiling fans in our little home, so when it gets muggy, I get to making salads. A lot.

Today is also Day 2 of a 10-Day Reboot I'm challenging myself to accomplish. When sitting down to contemplate and commit to this challenge, I pushed myself to define why I want to do such a thing. Isn't it a bit hocus-pocus? I asked myself, I mean, don't you just want to roll your eyes and say you don't give a crap? And I do (in part) wish I was cooler than this. But, I also know myself, and my penchant for shirking--or flat out rebelling against--discipline. I love a good fad...but give me, oh, three days, and I'm about done. Ready for a glass of wine or two, and reflection on how interesting it was to try that.

Hence, the 10-Day Fad. I mean, Reboot Detox Challenge Extravaganza!!!!

Over the next 9 days, I would like to grow. Spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally. (shouldn't be too hard at all!) I'd like to develop some healthy habits to take with me into my first year of teaching at a new school, and beyond. Well, I'll let you know how it goes.

But now, to focus on food. I've been perusing the Detox Menu plan, and I'm honestly not sure how closely I'll be able to follow it. (It calls for skipping caffeine: already I've failed! and will continue to...Me, in the morning, without coffee? no.)

However, I was immediately drawn to this amazing looking salad:
I am pretty sure I'm gonna have to make this for dinner tonight. 

...and I think I need a ginger smoothie right now! Stat! (where is my smoothie boy?)

So, what do you think about "detox diets"? Are they worth all the trouble? (it sure seems like trouble to me...) Could you go ten days without caffeine, or carbs? Why or why not?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

i have been wondering the same thing about detoxes myself. I usually try to go two weeks without white flour, sugar or dairy and that is challenging enough, but it does help to kick cravings for junk food (after the two long weeks are over). The liquid cleanses seem too excessive, and I definitely couldn't do without caffeine. ;)

nic said...

No white flour, dairy OR sugar??? You are my hero, and maybe even half-android. Do you get the shakes? I think I would start to shudder after a few days to eschewing, basically, all of my favorite things:) I totally respect you for being able to handle it!

I agree with you about the liquid "cleanses"...even if I could go on a coffee diet, I would feel weird without eating solid food.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...