Monday, June 27, 2011

Meatless Monday--going raw?

Hey friends. Happy Monday!

I am quite excited about my meatless options for this week. I spent Friday evening looking through some new magazines, and my stack of Bon Appetits from 2009--my friend, Jamica, got me a subscription for Christmas one year, and I absolutely loved it! We were so broke at the time, I wasn't able to renew my subscription, so I just keep recycling that year's worth. Each month, I pull out the corresponding issue, and try to find some dishes I haven't tried yet. Nerdy of me, I know.

I also stopped by the farmer's market on Saturday, on my way home from yoga class, and found some yummy-looking ingredients to play with.

I have a ton of sugar snap peas to try this orecchiette dish.


I love the pasta shape orecchiette. Not only is it fun to say, but it translates loosely into "little ears." How cute is that?


Now, here is an interesting thing that I'd love to hear your thoughts about: going raw. In the latest issue of Whole Living, I read the article about raw food. Mind you, I don't know all of the reasoning behind going raw...part of me shrugs and thinks, "ok, I mean, if that's what floats your boat..." Another part of me wonders if there is some magical nutritional benefit. Yet another part of me thinks that we cook food for some good reasons, too, like to kill bacteria. So, I'm gonna try this zucchini "pasta," along with these strawberry oat bars, and see what happens. 

I'll keep you posted!

Meanwhile, what do you think of the whole "raw food" thing? 

4 comments:

Miss Bibliophile said...

Don't think I could even do a raw diet, but it would be interesting to throw some raw dishes into the mix here and there. Those strawberry oat bars look pretty tempting.

nic said...

I pretty much agree with you, Miss Bibliophile! I don't think I could even go strictly vegetarian, or vegan, for that matter. Having said that, I guess "going raw" could just be another way to say, "trying to eat fresh produce and such." In that spirit, I did make the strawberry bars--and they were delish! A little crumbly, but totally scrumptious. I recommend:)

Meg said...

I do love a yummy salad, fresh fruit, and even raw cheese and milk from a grass-fed cow, but I would never go raw all the way :) Vegetables need to be cooked and smothered with butter (or olive oil or coconut oil, etc) most of the time so the body can more easily digest them. But I'd definitely like to try those strawberry oat bars!

Jess said...

I'm trying to make about 50% of our diet raw foods - they are just so nutritious. from what I understand, the cooking process can often leach some nutrients. for me, trying to make my diet 50% raw really gets me to eat lots more fruits and veggies, instead of cake.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...