Monday, June 20, 2011

Meatless Monday

Happy Monday, friends! I am fixin' to head home, dodging some raindrops along the way. I am thankful it is rainy here in the Mitten today, because the pre-rain is so, so sticky.

Blech.

But now, the rain brings a sweet coolness to the air, and the dull ache in my head subsides.

Ah.

image source

Tonight, I had had the mind to make the Barefoot Contessa's Middle Eastern Salad.  For humid weather, it's the best: lemony-herby-crunchy-cool.


But now that it's raining and chilly, I am thinking something more along the lines of this Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili


That might take too long, though. I might have to whip up some popcorn to hold me over. My newest obsession? One of these mini-bags with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt. 


Also, I have a pint of blueberries I need to use up. I saw these bars on Martha Stewart's website and now my mouth is watering. Except, I don't have any buttermilk. Any suggestions for what to make with blueberries?

Happy Monday, everyone! 


7 comments:

Lal said...

I believe you can fake buttermilk by souring milk with vinegar or lemon juice. I'm not sure on the ratios though.

I made this last week (it calls for a pint and a half of blueberries, though). http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Cheese-Blueberry-Pie/Detail.aspx
It was pretty tasty. Laura Allen made it with shortbread crust (also on allrecipes.com) but I used your grandma's oil pie crust recipe.
It was pretty tasty. :)

Lal said...

Yep, looks like it's 1 T of white vinegar or lemon juice to just under a cup of milk. And then you let it stand for 5-10 minutes.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/condimentsandspices/r/Buttermilk_Sub.htm

Lal said...

Heh, it must have been pretty tasty, as many times as I had to tell you that. Too early, need tea. =P

nic said...

Hee! You are the cutest, T:) Thanks for the suggestion about how to "fake" buttermilk--I think I will use that! You're the best <3

Hope your tea is delicious~happy tuesday!!!

~nic

Lal said...

Aww, thanks. <3

Jess said...

saw this too late, I'm sure the blueberries are gone, but my vote is always for cobbler! I'm a big time cobbler fan. : ) I'm also a popcorn fan. I make mine on the stove, and if you're ever interested in the perfect method, check it out on simplyrecipes.com. by the way, that slow cooker veggie chili looks amazing!

nic said...

oh yes, the chili is now one of my favorite things! There is cocoa powder and cinnamon in it, but seriously it is the best flavor--I'd venture to say WAY better than any meat-variety of chili I've ever tried. Go figure, huh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...